How do I get a copy of a fire incident or EMS report?
Copies of a fire or EMS incident report are available at the fire department. You must complete a request from before they can be released. Call (219) 365-6034, the non-emergency number, for further assistance. As per Town of St. John Ordinance # 1594: $5.00 fee for Certification of Documents AND $0.10 cents per page for black/white copies or $0.25 per page for color copies.

Does the fire department offer CPR and/or First-Aid Classes to the public?
Yes. Please click here for information about the courses.

Does the fire department install smoke detectors?
The fire department does not install smoke detectors for the public.

Can I get my blood pressure taken at the firehouse?
There are medical personnel on duty at the fire station that are glad to help you with a blood pressure check or any other EMS issue that you might have.

Can I burn leaves or brush in my yard?
No. The Town has an ordinance against residential open burning. The state also has an ordinance against residential open burning in Lake County. This is an “air quality” issue, rather than a fire protection issue, however the fire department will become involved if a complaint is made. Click here for more information.

Are tours of the firehouse available?
Yes, tours of the station are available. Please call the non-emergency number (219) 365-6034 or email for details or to schedule a visit.

Where should I place my smoke detectors?
Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home and if possible every room. Please click here for more information.

How can I become a volunteer firefighter?
The fire department is always looking for new members. Currently new members are added on a semi-annual basis. Please complete an application and return it to the fire station. An interview will be scheduled providing the application is approved. Applicants must reside in St. John or our protection area.

How do I report a non-emergency incident?
To request assistance involving a non-emergency question, situation or concern, please call our non-emergency number (219) 365-6034.

Will the Fire Dept. respond for assistance without lights and sirens for a non-emergency?
The fire department will respond to a non-emergency without the need for lights and sirens. However, fire department policy states that for any life threatening situation, or a high probability of loss or sever damage to property, the fire department will respond to the scene with lights and siren activated. Some times residents request NO LIGHTS OR SIRENS, and a real emergency does exist. The fire department cannot take that extra risk.

Is there a fee for service charged when the fire department responds?
The fire department charges a fee for EMS response. These rates are found in ordinances of the Town. Most insurance companies cover some or all of the charges. There are no charges for fire protection issues to residential or commercial customers within the assigned St. John Fire Department protection areas. Some examples are fire code inspections, fire prevention education, a non-emergency smoke detector problem or an activated carbon monoxide detector.

My smoke detector is “chirping”. What should I do?
Many newer models of smoke detectors make a “chirping” sound when the batteries are low. You should replace the batteries and test/reset your smoke detector. If you experience any problems or difficulty, contact the fire department right away.

What is Carbon Monoxide and how does it harm you?
Carbon monoxide, CO, is a tasteless, odorless, colorless, poisonous gas. It is a by-product of “incomplete combustion”. When a person inhales high levels of carbon monoxide for a long period of time, it displaces the oxygen in the blood causing the heart, brain, and other vital organs to be deprived of oxygen. Extended exposure to strong concentrations of carbon monoxide is life threatening. Loss of consciousness and suffocation may result without warning! Make sure your home has a detector.

Can I complete community service hours at the firehouse?
Yes, community service hours can be done at the firehouse. Please contact the Chief for more information.

How do I select a fire extinguisher?
There are four basic types of fires. Portable extinguishers are labeled so that the most appropriate extinguisher is chosen for use on a specific type of fire. Portable extinguishers are labeled using standard symbols for the classes of fires. A slash through any symbol means: “that certain extinguisher should not be used on that certain type of fire”. A mission symbol means: “that certain extinguisher has not been formally tested for a given class of fire”. Multi-purpose extinguishes i.e. ABC, may be used successfully on all three types of fires

  • CLASS A: Ordinary combustibles such as wood, cloth, and paper.
  • CLASS B: Flammable liquids such as gasoline, oil, and oil-based paint.
  • CLASS C: Energized electrical equipment – including wiring, fuse boxes, circuit breakers, machinery, and appliances.
  • CLASS D: Flammable metals.

There is also a new class of extinguisher called the K extinguisher. It is used on synthetic cooking oils, and gets its identity as “K” from “KITCHEN”. Always use the most appropriate extinguisher so that you don’t cause the fire to escalate (become worse) or endanger yourself or others.

Does the fire department service fire extinguishers?
No, the fire department does not service fire extinguishers. There are private fire protection companies that offer those services. They can be found in the phone book.

Where can I purchase a fire extinguisher?
Portable fire extinguishers can be purchased at a wide variety of retail stores. Home improvement centers and hardware stores generally carry an adequate selection to choose from.

Where can I purchase an evacuation ladder?
Escape ladders for residential evacuations from second floor areas can be found at most home improvement centers. Or visit: for more information.

Can I call the Fire Dept. to dispose of household hazardous materials?
No. The appropriate way to dispose of household hazardous materials is through the Lake County Hazardous Waste District. Visit for a schedule and additional information.

Will the fire department come to my home and fill my swimming pool?
No, the fire department is not permitted to fill swimming pools. There are private firms that can help you with that.

When does the town test the severe weather alarm?
Sirens are activated/tested at 12:00 (noon) on the first Tuesday of every month. The only time the siren would not be tested as part of that program is if the weather conditions appear to be right for the generation of a tornado/severe weather.

Who do I call for Child Safety Seat (aka Car Seat) Inspections?
Please contact the St. John Fire Department non-emergency number (219) 365-6034 to schedule a Car Seat Inspection with a certified inspector.