A Building Permit is required for installing a Fence. The cost of a Building Permit for constructing a Fence is: $25.00
Restrictions – The fence must be:
- A maximum height of 6 feet from ground level in a residential area.
- All post holes must be located within your property lines. If placed on a designated easement, when and if utility work is required, the property owner will be responsible for removing the Fence from the area and replace it at his/her own expense.
- A 6 foot Fence may not protrude into the front yard. If the lot is a corner lot, there are more restrictions concerning the visual access and clearance for vehicles and pedestrians.
- Call 1-800-382-5544 to have all Utility locations checked PRIOR to digging. These locates includes gas, electric and telephone.
- Refer to the convenant agreement with your deed for any special rules that may apply to your subdivision. These rules are enforced by your Developer or Homeowners Association and are separate from the Towns requirements.
- Chain Link Fences are NOT allowed unless they are screened from view by a solid buffer.
- One copy of the plat of survey showing the Fence in respect to the property lines and the primary structure.
- A completed Building Permit Application form including the names of licensed Contractors who will perform the work.
Building Permits require at least TWO (2) working days to process. You will be notified by telephone when the permit is ready. All Building Permit fees must be paid in full before the Permit can be issued. Permit placards must be displayed in the window of the primary building where the Fence is being constructed.
Any questions can be directed to Building & Planning Department at (219) 365-5301 option 5.
NOTE: The structure must PASS ALL mandatory inspections by the St. John Building Commissioner and Electrical Inspector before the project is considered complete. Violations can result in fines or revocation of the structure Building Permit.
Fences are drive by inspections only. There is no need to call when completed.