If you want to build a deck please follow the DCA 6 – Prescriptive Residential Deck Construction Guide

Building Permits require at least TWO (2) working days to process. You will be notified by telephone when the permit is ready. At that time, costs will be confirmed so you may bring the proper payment. All Building Permit fees must be paid in full before the Permit can be issued. Permit placards must be displayed in the window of the primary building where the Deck or Enclosed Porch is being constructed.

Any questions can be directed to Building & Planning Department at (219) 365-5301 option 5.

NOTE: You may NOT use the Deck or Enclosed Porch for any reason until the structure has PASSED ALL mandatory inspections by the St. John Building Commissioner and/or Electrical Inspector. Violations can result in fines, forfeiture or escrow monies (if applicable) or revocation of the structure Building Permit.

A Building Permit is required for constructing a Deck or Enclosed Porch. The cost of a Building Permit for a Deck or Enclosed Porch is $60.00. If there will be electrical service to the Deck or Enclosed Porch, additional fees apply.

Restrictions – The structure must be:

Built at least 5 feet inside the property lines from the side or rear of the property line. It must be placed behind the primary structure on the property and cannot be placed on a designated easement. If attached to the primary structure it must meet yard setback guidelines.

Posts must be sunk below the frost line (42″). Call 811 to have all Utility locations checked PRIOR to digging. These locate includes gas, electric, and telephone.

Refer to the covenant agreement with your deed for any special rules that may apply to your subdivision. These rules are enforced by your Developer or Homeowners Association and are separate from the Towns requirements.

The following forms are required for a permit:
A completed Secondary Permit Application including the names of licensed Contractors or Electricians who will perform the work.
One (1) copy of the Engineering, Architectural or Manufacturers plans must be submitted showing actual construction proposed including cement piers or concrete pads and the method of attaching the Deck or Enclosed Porch to the Piers or Pad. All plans must be approved by the St. John Building Commissioner.
One (1) copy of the plat of survey showing the Deck or Enclosed Porch in respect to the primary structure and reflecting its dimensions.
The ticket number from calling Indiana 811.
If there will be electrical service to the Deck or Enclosed Porch you must use an Electrician who is licensed to work in the Town of St. John. You may obtain a list of licensed Electricians from the Building & Planning Office. If the home owner is going to do the electrical wiring them self they need to pass the Home Owner Electrical Test. Please contact the Building & Planning Department at (219) 365-5301 option 5 then 1 for more information.

Inspections must be ordered by clicking here in the following order:
1) Building Pre-Pour Pier/Post Hole: Call when all of the holes are dug
2) Building Rough Framing: Call when ONLY the beams & joists are in place
3) Final Electric: If Applicable, Inspection when all electrical work is complete AND must be inspected before Final Building/Plumbing/HVAC is requested
4) Building Final Building/Plumbing/HVAC: Call when the deck is completed