ABOVE GROUND POOLS
A Building Permit is required for installing an Above Ground Pool. The cost of a Building Permit for a Pool is: $130.00. This fee includes zoning, electrical, Deck and/or fencing (providing that plans are submitted along with application).
Restrictions – The Above Ground Pool must be:
- In compliance with the Indiana State Swimming Pool Code, Town of St. John Zoning Ordinance and the National Electrical Code (see Electrical Inspections for Pools or Spas).
- Located behind the primary structure on the property and at least 10 feet from side or rear property lines and 20 feet from an existing residence on the adjacent property. A Pool may not be located on a designated easement.
- Fenced to a height of at 5 feet and not greater than 6 feet tall from ground level. The height of the pool walls may be included as part of the 6 foot requirement. Fencing must be built to completely surround the Pool and Deck Area and be immediately adjacent to the Pool walls. It must include BOTH a self-closing AND latching gate capable of being locked when the Pool is not in use. Fencing must be in place prior to final inspection. Call 1-800-382-5544 to have all Utility locations checked PRIOR to digging.
- A completed Building Permit Application form including the names of Contractors and Electricians licensed to work in the Town of St. John who will perform the work. You may obtain a list of licensed Contractors and Electricians from the website www.stjohnin.com under Business/Registered Contractors.
- One copy of the plat of survey showing the location of the Pool in respect to the property lines and the primary structure, dimension from all property lines and structures on the property. This drawing must reflect the dimensions of the Pool and the locations of all electrical outlets, fixtures, meter boxes, light fixtures, fans or other electrical devices.
Building Permits require at least FIVE (5) working days to process. You will be notified by telephone when the permit is ready. All Building Permit fees must be paid in full in the Clerks Office by check or cash before the Permit can be issued. Permit placards must be displayed in the window of the primary building where the Pool is being constructed.
Inspections can be ordered on website here.
Any questions can be directed to Building & Planning Department at (219) 365-5301 option 5.
NOTE: POOL PERMITS ARE VALID FOR 60 DAYS ONLY. You may NOT occupy or use the Pool for any reason until the structure has PASSED ALL mandatory inspections by the St. John Building Commissioner and Electrical Inspector. Violations can result in fines or revocation of the structure Building Permit.
Inspections must be ordered by clicking here in the following order:
1) Rough Electric: leave trench open at least 1’
2) Plumbing Gas-line: leave trench open at least 1’
3) Final Electric: Call after all electric is complete
4) Building Final Building/Plumbing/HVAC: Call when complete, Final Electric has passed and Pool is secured by Fence and/or Deck.