St. John Fire Department
Fire Escape Planning
When it comes to escaping fires, time is the biggest enemy and every second counts. It is important to have fire escape plans and to regularly practice those plans to help you get out of your home quickly.
Tips for Escape Planning
- Practice escaping from every room in the house, both during the day and at night
- Every room should have two ways out
- With windows and doors equipped with security bars, make sure that everyone knows, understands, and has practiced how to quickly remove the bars
- Designate a meeting place outside away from the home (for example a front-yard tree or a sidewalk.) Take attendance and designate one person to phone the fire department by cell phone or a neighbor’s phone.
- Make sure everyone knows when and how to call emergency telephone numbers
- Remember to escape first, and then call the fire department. Do not try to save property; the most important thing is to GET OUT SAFELY!