TOWN OF ST. JOHN, LAKE COUNTY, INDIANA
ORDINANCE NO. 1596
AN ORDINANCE ESTABLISHING RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR USE OF THE TOWN OF ST. JOHN DOG PARK, AND ALL MATTERS THERETO.
WHEREAS, the Town Council of the Town of St. John, Lake County, Indiana (hereinafter the “Town Council”), is aware and informed that a Dog Park Facility has been developed and established in “Homestead Park East” the vicinity of 99th and Hedwig Drive, in Town; Further, the Town Council is aware and advised that said Dog Park developed and established at “Homestead Park East”, in St. John, is on existing real estate owned by the Town of St. John, acting through its Department of Parks and Recreation; and
WHEREAS, the Town Council has been informed and advised that the St. John Park Board has, at its February 24, 2015, Public Meeting, adopted its Resolution No. 15-02-24 PK recommending to the Town Council the adoption of an Ordinance establishing Rules and Regulations and fees for use of the St. John Dog Park; and
WHEREAS, the Town Council has received and reviewed the advisory Resolution recommendation of the St. John Park Board pertaining to the adoption of an Ordinance establishing Rules and Regulations, and fees, for use of the St. John Dog Park, and, having considered same, now concurs and agrees that it is appropriate, advisable, and in the best interests of the residents of the Town of St. John to establish Rules and Regulations for the use of the Town of St. John Dog Park Facility by participating residents and citizens.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED BY THE TOWN COUNCIL OF THE TOWN OF ST. JOHN, LAKE COUNTY, INDIANA, AS FOLLOWS:
SECTION ONE: That the RULES and REGULATIONS for use of the Town of St. John Dog Park attached hereto, incorporated herein, and marked as Exhibit "A", are hereby approved and adopted as the RULES and REGULATIONS for use by residents and citizens of the St. John Dog Park Facility, commonly known as "Wiggley Field".
SECTION TWO: That all existing Ordinances and Town Code provisions, or portions thereof, in conflict with the provisions of this Ordinance are, hereby deemed null, void, and of no legal effect, and are specifically repealed.
SECTION THREE: If any section, clause, provision or portion of this Ordinance shall be held to be invalid or unconstitutional by any Court of competent jurisdiction, such decision shall not affect any other section, clause, provision or portion of this Ordinance.
SECTION FOUR: That this Ordinance shall take effect, and be in full force and effect, from and after its passage and adoption by the Town Council of the Town of St. John, Lake County, Indiana, and in conformance with applicable law.
ALL OF WHICH IS PASSED AND ADOPTED THIS 26 DAY OF February, 2015, BY THE TOWN COUNCIL OF THE TOWN OF ST. JOHN, LAKE COUNTY, INDIANA.
TOWN OF ST. JOHN, LAKE COUNTY,
INDIANA, TOWN COUNCIL
MICHAEL S. FORBES, President
LARRY BUSTAMANTE, Vice President
GREGORY J. VOLK, Member
MARK BARENIE, Member
KENNETH D. GEMBALA, Member
BEVERLY J. GAWRYS
Chief Deputy Clerk-Treasurer
RULES and REGULATIONS – ST. JOHN DOG PARK
The following Rules and Regulations shall apply for the use of the St. John Dog Park Facility by Participant/Users, namely:
- Only two (2) dogs per adult owner are allowed at one time. Both dogs must remain in the same run area with owner. Owners shall not leave dogs in run areas without owner supervision.
- Dogs must be leashed until inside run area. Maximum leash length is six (6) feet. No prong or pinch collars are allowed. Only buckle or stretch collars are permitted in the dog park for the dog’s safety.
- Children 11 and under not allowed in run areas. Children 12 through 16 must be accompanied by an adult and are not to be left unattended in run areas.
- Dogs must display current rabies tags.
- Unhealthy dogs or those dogs in season are not allowed in the dogpark.
- It is recommended that dogs are on a regular flea and tick treatment in spring, summer and fall.
- Dogs under six (6) months of age are not permitted in park.
- Perpetual barking is not allowed as this is a nuisance to members and surrounding neighbors. If your dog will not stop barking for whatever reason, you must leave the dog park.
- Dogs that exhibit aggressive behavior must be removed from the dog park immediately. Offenders of this policy will lose their dog park privileges. Do not permit your dog to run to the gate when another dog is entering. Keep gate area clear so that members can enter and exit without incidents.
- Owners must clean up after their dog(s). Bags and waste receptacles are available.
- Food, glass containers, smoking or chewing of tobacco, and alcohol are not allowed on the dog park premises. Small bite sized training treats are permitted.
- Bicyclists, skateboarders, roller skaters, roller blading, and all other motorized or human-propelled devices (except wheelchairs) are prohibited within the large and small dog areas of the park.
- Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries or damage caused by their dogs.
- Only registered dogs and their owners displaying a key card are allowed into the dog park. Please encourage others to pick up a packet at the St. John Town Hall and register to become a participant user.
- Report "fence jumpers" to St. John Animal Control. The Animal Control phone number is: (219) 365-6032.
- Animal abuse will not be tolerated and will be reported to the Police Department.
- Pursuant to Lake County Ordinance #1244F: Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes are prohibited from participating in unleashed dog parks. Consequently, Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes are not permitted to be in the dog park.
In addition to the foregoing, please note the following, namely:
Precautions and Etiquette
Please remember: Children 11 and under are not allowed in dog run areas.
- Dogs are unpredictable and feisty. Often dogs do not respond well to people running and yelling. Also, all visitors should always ask the handler before petting a strange dog.
- Entering and exiting a dog park is stressful and exciting even for the most well behaved dogs. Please allow other’s space to enter and exit before you do. Be sure to securely close all gates behind you.
- After entering the dog park let your dog off-leash. Leashed dogs feel threatened when they are around unleashed dogs. If you are uncomfortable with letting your dog off leash, do not visit the park. Prong and choke collars must be removed.
- Supervise your dog at all times. When a new dog enters the park, be aware of where your dog is. Don’t allow dogs to congregate around the entrance. Owners must carry one (1) leash in hand per dog (maximum of two (2) dogs per person).
- If your dog starts to mount, you must immediately discourage this activity to avoid any aggression problems from other dogs, or leave the park.
- Dog fights are rare, but if one does occur, the best method to break it up is to grab both dogs’ hind legs and direct them in opposite directions. Block any eye contact the dogs make with each other. Dogs that remain unruly or aggressive must be immediately removed from the park.
- If your dog injuries another dog or owner, be sure to give your name and phone number to injured party. You are legally and financially responsible for your dog’s actions and any harm it causes to others. See Dog Incident Policy in next section.
- Pick up your dog’s droppings. You must carry extra bags with you. Bags and waste receptacles are also available.
- Be respectful of other dogs and their owners. Do not allow your dog to be a nuisance to other dogs and their owners.
- Dog agility equipment and dog toys are for use by dogs – not for use by owners or handlers.
In addition to the foregoing, please note the following, namely:
Dog Incident Policy
Our Rules and Etiquette are deigned to help minimize the chance for a dog incident. However, should an incident occur, here is our policy and recommended action to be taken by dog owners.
- Separate and leash the dogs.
- Inspect dogs for any injury.
- Exchange names and phone numbers.
- Obtain names and phone numbers of any witnesses.
In the event the St. John Park Department is notified, the St. John Park Department has the express right to release names and phone numbers of parties. You are legally and financially responsible for the action of your dogs(s).
The St. John Dog Park and the St. John Park Department reserve the right to revoke park privileges to any participant user who fails to follow park rules and etiquette or where it is determined a participant user dog or dog owner is dangerous to other or in violations of any applicable animal ordinances or regulations.
Dog Park Emergency Phone Numbers:
St. John Animal Control: (219) 365-6235
St. John Non-Emergency Police: (219) 365-6032
St. John Park Department: (219) 365-6236